Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Shaken

Wednesday in Holy Week

I am shaken by the noise of the enemy,
   and by the pressure of the wicked.  Psalm 55:3



My daughter unwraps the cough drop and reads, 
“You’ve survived tougher.” 

“Look, it has inspirational sayings on the wrapper!” she exclaims. And indeed, the package advertises, “A pep talk in every drop.”  Clearly the company thought that the medicine in the cough drops was not enough, but needed to be bolstered by words of encouragement.

I could use some words of encouragement at this point in my journey through the wilderness. Because at this juncture, I am not sure if I am moving through it at all. I am not convinced I am any closer to being on the other side. Rather, I find myself more deeply entangled in the thorns. This path is tough. What if I have not survived tougher? What if the way ahead is even more difficult and heartbreaking?

Now the stakes are high. Now the enemy redoubles the effort for my attention and heart and soul. Now again I lift my ash-stained face in petition. Now, again, the Holy One stoops to me and hears my cry.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014
Image credit: melpomen / 123RF Stock Photo