Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sustenance

Wednesday in the Fourth Week of Lent

I will strive to follow a blameless course;
oh, when will you come to me?
   I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.   Psalm 101:2


I walk in the door greeted by the enticing aroma of dinner about to be served. With well-rehearsed choreography, the members of my household weave our way to the table as glasses are filled and food is placed and in the next moment we are sitting and holding hands and praying and settling in to the familiar comfort of family dinner. We smile and chatter having gathered from our disparate paths of the day knowing that we will soon disperse again to various evening activities.

But for this moment we are here, intentionally with one another. In one kind of accounting, it doesn’t take much time at all for us to be refreshed and fed, because in another sense we have been sitting at the dinner table together for years.

I recognize the sacred space. I know it as a place where I come, with all my faults in hand, to find acceptance and forgiveness, sometimes challenge, often joy. Neither my life nor the mealtimes are perfect. But God is good, continually opening a way before, behind, around me, so that I can choose to step into the light. 




copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014