Friday, April 4, 2014

Mindful Eating

Friday in the Fourth Week of Lent

For God satisfies the thirsty
   and fills the hungry with good things. Psalm 107:9


I bow my head for a moment of thanks and am met with the enticing aroma of the Pad Thai. What a delight.

Having skipped breakfast and knowing that dinner will probably be on the fly, I resolutely took myself to lunch. As I continue to enjoy the smell of the spices, I am reminded of a mindful eating practice I learned years ago and decide to engage my meal with purpose. I look at the array of color on my plate and choose my first bite, savoring the flavor and putting down my chopsticks before I take a second bite.

I slow my pace and just concentrate on eating, and when my mind begins to problem solve my afternoon, I bring it back with intention. To this bite, this moment, this thanksgiving.




copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014
Image credit: vadidak / 123RF Stock Photo