Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Stumbling

Tuesday in Holy Week

As often as I said, “My foot has slipped,”
   your love, O Lord, upheld me.   Psalm 94:18



A hand reaches out and steadies me. With embarrassment, I look down to my feet. I would like to say that I tripped over a rock or my high heels. But in truth I am wearing flats and walking on clear level ground.

Sometimes I am simply not steady on my feet. I misstep in my relationships. I take in stride what deserves more consideration. I stumble into others. And all along the way, I also stumble into the sacred. Because regardless of how many times I have slipped, I continue to discover compassion and benevolence that have been there all along.

Even when I am not paying attention. Even when I fall headlong. Even when I refuse to admit or am unable to recognize my failing. Even still, God’s love is unabated. 


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014
Image credit: janniswerner / 123RF Stock Photo