Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Wednesday in the Second Week of Lent

March 7, 2012
 
Others are those sown among the thorns: these are the ones who hear the word, but the cares of the world, and the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things come in and choke the word, and it yields nothing. Mark 4:18-19

The day stretches before me with possibility. So many choices to make.

Yesterday I wove my way among experiences looking for the perfect formula for satisfaction. I chose one place to settle, but saw one better. I chose again and then perceived the limitations of my selection. I chose a third time and still did not escape the desire for other things: different weather, richer accommodations, more fulfilling experiences.  You would think my familiarity with such lures would inure me to their silly sparkle, yet still I follow right along.

Now I hold still before today. I am almost startled as the door across from me sharpens into conscious focus and I notice for the first time the particular green of the valance across the white wood of the frame. I take in the beauty of their juxtaposition. The door itself offering unexpected possibilities for contemplation before I even open it to enter in to today.


 

copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012