Friday, March 16, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Friday in the Third Week of Lent

March 16, 2011

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,
   and to sing praises to your Name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning
   and of your faithfulness in the night season.
  Psalm 92:1-2

As I walk through the darkened house, I know my way. I carry my cup of tea from the kitchen through the dining room, avoiding the chair which I cannot see but I know is there. It is always there, and I always take the same path.

I settle in to my usual place with journal, prayer book, favorite pen. I open my book and open my lips to begin my morning litany of thanksgivings. I always begin in the same way.

I have learned it is the thankfulness that saves me every time.   Everyday is new and everyday is different and everyday is the same and into this paradox I lift my voice in gratitude. Because it is the best song that I know for carrying me through times carefree and horrific, and those uncertain too, for drawing me into the arms of the Holy One who loves me into being.

For when my always isn’t, even then God’s love is.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012