Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Wednesday in the Fourth Week of Lent


March 21, 2012

Do you have eyes, and fail to see? Do you have ears, and fail to hear? And do you not remember? When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces did you collect?  Mark 8:19

“But will you help me?” my daughter cajoles as she balks at her turn to do the dishes. I survey the scene and realize it is a light dish night. Only one pot. I point this out to her and tell her to get on with it.

“Well, I’m going to be sulky about it all night.”

“You have the freedom to make that choice.”

“You do know it’s annoying when you do that, right?”

“Yes,” I smile. Of course I know. I have been practicing this parenting technique for years. Giving my children choices right along with responsibility.

And I know because I too have practiced the art of petulance thus adding unnecessary burden to a load. I know the path of seeing scarcity amidst abundance, of hearing condemnation where there is invitation. I too forget the miracle of the loaves.

As I hear the clank of dishes in the sink, I think back over my own work this day, how I labored diligently with purpose—and yet forgot to notice God. How could I choose such a thing?


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012