Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Thursday in the Fifth Week of Lent

March 29, 2012
 
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path:
   in the way wherein I walk they have hidden traps for me.
  Psalm 142:3

Languish. To pine. To pine away. To fade away. To get weaker.

Languish. I linger on the word, the perfect verb for my day it seems. Because even as I keep on toward the resurrection, dull life seems more real than new. I hold the word in my mouth, taste its slightly bitter sorrow with just a hint of torpor. Then I swallow.

And I realize within the word itself lies one of the enemy’s deceptions. I am not getting weaker. Trudging on strengthens me. Stubborn determination will do, when inspiration is lost.

Because my feet know, even when my heart does not, to keep on walking. And God knows where I am.




copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012