Saturday, March 24, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

March 24, 2012


Jesus said to him, “All things can be done for the one who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out, “I believe; help my unbelief!”    Mark 9:23-24



I answer the ringing phone hesitantly, not sure the intrusion will be worthwhile. But the voice of a woman from the local second hand store presents a welcome opportunity. This thrift shop actually calls me to ask if I have anything to give away, and then sends someone to pick it up. Exactly what I need.

I have a hard time letting go of “stuff.” I am thrifty and sentimental: a dangerous combination. I am loath to discard something I might be able to use, reuse, or repurpose. When my girls were little, I hung on to every empty paper towel role because it could be useful for some art project. I think I saw one lingering in back of the kitchen cupboard just yesterday.

Sentimentality gets me too. I have held on to the crib both my daughters slept in for so long that I cannot even give it away. It doesn’t meet new safety standards.

Upon examination, I recognize a sinful lack of trust in my propensity for holding on to stuff. As if such accumulation will protect me from the emptiness of need and want.

I know the love of God; and each day I act as if I’m not sure it is sufficient. God help me.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012