Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Thursday in the Fourth Week of Lent


March 22, 2012

But as for me, this is my prayer to you,
   at  the time you have set, O Lord:
In your great mercy, O God,
   answer me with your unfailing hope.  Psalm 69:14-15

I unlock the door and step into an unexpectedly quiet house. I am the first one home today and I breathe in the stillness with relish.

I pick up the mail from the floor, sort through it, take a handful to the recycling bin, and then I just keep going. Stray dishes in the sink find the dishwasher. Clothes strewn across the floor make their way to the laundry room. Sweaters discarded after having surrendered to the unseasonable warmth are folded and put away.

As I tidy, I consider how to spend this unforeseen unhurried time. Read a chapter of the novel I am enjoying? Resolve unfinished household business?  Get a jump on tomorrow’s work?

Outside the afternoon clamors on, but here I settle deeper into the hush and continue my rounds. One task at a time I clear away the clutter and I realize it has become a dance, a prayer, a pilgrimage.

I give myself again to the will of the one on whose mercy I depend. Whose voice I have never heard, whose form I have never seen, who yet speaks tenderly to me and holds me fast.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012