Monday, March 19, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Monday in the Fourth Week of Lent

March 19, 2012
Feast of St. Joseph

Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;
   you laid the foundations of the world and all that is in it.   Psalm 89:11

I wake weary and disoriented. And in this waking I cannot find my way. I do not know the day, or place, or what lies ahead. I grope for some familiar footing. Some sign that will remind me where I am. Is it a day to be anxious? Is it a day for eager anticipation? I brush through wisps of drifting thought and vague sensation hoping to grasp something solid before bewilderment becomes distress.

Then I awake again to the familiar buzz of my alarm. I am in my own bed in my own house and today is not a lost day but a known day with a recognizable pattern. I am not adrift.

Neither am I safely through the wilderness of Lent, I acknowledge as I become more present to my surroundings. The wind blows in the desert lifting sand into a dance then discards the grains unthinking in some other place so that even standing still I can vanish.

But the wilderness belongs to God. Even missing in the desert I am yet in the hands of the One who has counted every grain.

I place my feet upon the floor and step into the day.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012