Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Thursday in the First Week of Lent



March 1, 2012

So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. 1 Corinthians 3:7


The wan yellow has finally transformed into a healthy green. It is the color of the chlorophyll revived leaves more than their lengthening which attests to the growth of the plant.

I left the planting of the amaryllis late. A Christmas gift from a dear friend, its components sat expectantly in its package: bulb, soil, container. Waiting for me to pot it with loving care, water it just the right amount, choose the perfect sunny spot.

Except this life did not wait for me. When I finally opened the box, I discovered the bulb had already sent out pale tender shoots. Even in the darkness of the cardboard package. Even without the benefit of soil or water. Or my attention.

Now as this optimistic plant proudly inhabits prime real estate in my living room, happily ensconced in nutritious potting compost and well watered, the miracle of its continued growth and the astonishing flower to come are not my doing.

In the interior geography of my soul, God’s life-giving love works miracles. Even in the darkness. Even without benefit of my attention or effort. One morning I wake to unfurl pale tender leaves before God, the source of light and life.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012