Friday, March 9, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Friday in the Second Week of Lent

March 9, 2012

Come, let us bow down and bend the knee,
   and kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For he is our God,
and we are the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand.
   Oh, that today you would hearken to his voice!
  Psalm 95:6-7

Sale on the stuff you love. Shop the Stuff You Love Sale. As I quickly scroll through my inbox in triage mode, the subject line of the store’s email arrests my exercise of the delete key.

There was a time when I had unsubscribed from all such promotions. Having recognized their siren call to lead me into treacherous waters of misplaced desire and distorted need, I found it best to banish them.  But somehow they crept back in, almost without my notice but assuredly by my invitation.

Sale on the stuff I love. Such a bold lie.

What I love is not stuff. What I love is not carried by this or any store. What I love is not a what at all.

Deflecting the deception propels me into different waters, where I am bathed anew in the voice of the one who loves me, who has taught me all I know of love and has more to teach me still.

 

copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012