Saturday, March 25, 2023

Water stations

Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Whoever is wise will ponder these things,
and consider well the mercies of the Lord.
Psalm 107:43


Partway through the rainy afternoon, I pause to center myself again. The day’s tasks have proved themselves wily, distracting, and inscrutable. I lost an early skirmish with FB. I once again proved to myself (and anyone else who cares) that multi-tasking is only doing several tasks poorly. And I’m pretty sure I had two peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch without noticing.

Past experience tells me it is about that time. This is always the point along the Lenten trail when I find myself pummeled by shoulds and frustrations and resentments. Tools of the enemy to lure me off the path.

Which means it is time to reach for gratitude and mercy, God’s balm which is to be found all along the way, like water stations of living grace. I pause, I ponder, I consider. I cradle my soul in my arms and offer it to the holy one for safe-keeping.