Saturday, March 4, 2023

Uncovered

Saturday in the First Week of Lent

When I called, you answered me;
you increased my strength within me.
Psalm 138:4


The piles of papers on my desk have been weeks in the making. Well, to be honest, months. Today I finally seem to have the time and the brain space to make them go away. Sorting. Shredding. Filing. Discarding. Labeling.

The surface of the desk appears. I make no new “later” piles. And in the midst of it all, I find paperwork from 2019 that is now needful. It was never really lost. Perhaps, like many things from before the pandemic, it was waiting to rediscovered. 

In many ways I find that my spiritual life too is being uncovered, the surface of my soul appearing once again. Practices and attitudes I have collected over that past three years are ready to be sorted, some shredded or discarded. Others filed away for another time of need. 

I was never really lost along that way. And God will not let go of me now. The Lenten road is prepared for me, then and now. To give me strength and sustenance. As I make my way through the wilderness to rebirth.