Thursday, March 23, 2023

Surrender

Thursday in the Fourth Week of Lent

O God, you know my foolishness,
and my faults are not hidden from you.
Psalm 69:6


Even though the weather has warmed, I pull my sweater close around my shoulders to ward off the spring chill. The day’s drizzle brings welcome moisture even as its dullness dampens spirits.

The surface of my desk has become a bumpy road, strewn with sticky notes, open books, bulletin drafts, and two cups of coffee one of which may still be warm. As the clamor of unsettled details threatens to upend any sense of calm I might possess, I pause. And in the lull I try to find myself.

In the midst of worship planning, website updating, and calendar wrangling I have lost my way. I can tell. Because I feel flustered, and I try to work too quickly, and I keep thinking I can accomplish just one more thing…and one more…and just one more….

As if I can manage these last laps of Lent into submission. 

Instead, I let the lull lengthen. Until the noise in my brain subsides. Until I can hear the patter of the gentle rain, dripping one soul-nourishing drop of living water after another into the well-trodden earth. Until I let go of my foolishness once again. Until I surrender to the place where I am.