Monday, March 6, 2023

Holy napping

Monday in the Second Week of Lent
 
Our sins are stronger than we are,
but you will blot them out.
Psalm 65:3
 
 

The cough lingers. Like so many people I know, I have succumbed to this winter’s tenacious cold. I am thankful that I do not really feel unwell. Other than my need to nap. And honestly, napping goes in the wellness category.
 
The urge to power through when I am tired, when I am sick, when I am emotionally spent is also tenacious. I’m not sure I know anyone right now who thinks they get enough rest. Perhaps the fact that the Holy One created and sanctified rest should alert me to the fact that the enemy is behind my tendency to undervalue it.
 
Once again I am humbled by my need of God; and thankful that it is God who blots out my restless sins, and who gives rest to the weary.