Monday, March 27, 2023

Snug

 Monday in the Fifth Week of Lent

Into your hands I commend my spirit,
for you have redeemed me,
O Lord, O God of truth.
Psalm 31:5


The day grays, and I acknowledge that I did not go for a walk earlier as I had planned when the sun was shining. I could go now. It is not rainy and remains warm enough that a light coat would suffice. But I am comfortable in my chair and my warm sweatshirt with a throw on my lap. I don’t want to move.

While I love to be out in nature, lately I have more often chosen the comfort of feeling snug. Perhaps I am still craving security after all the upheaval and grief of the past three years.

I do know that my safety lies with God. And I have experienced God’s saving presence many, many times--on this Lenten path and on the journey of these past disruptive years. It seems just at the moment when I think I am bereft and none can help, holy hope makes itself known.

So, I will appreciate my comfort this gray afternoon and not scold myself. I will place myself in in the hands of the one who has already redeemed me, and I will soak up the solace that replenishes my soul.