Saturday, March 18, 2023

Mercy soak

Saturday in the Third Week of Lent

Give thanks to the God of heaven,
for God’s mercy endures forever.
Psalm 136:26


Before I sit down in my comfy chair, I refill my large water glass. I have been consciously drinking water all day, perhaps because I neglected to keep up with my intake this past week.

Sometimes I hardly think of the water I drink. Other times, I experience pleasure at the refreshment it provides, and can almost feel it hydrating my cells as I swallow each mouthful. A cup of cool water is a blessing, a kindness, a relief. A mercy.

God’s mercy surrounds us. Sometimes I hardly think about it. Other times, I experience it lifting me out of troubled waters, or providing relief from soul numbing shame, or gently reminding me that I am loved.

Perhaps the rest of my journey will be improved if I also consciously soak up God’s mercy, as if it were a cup of cool water.