Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Brilliance

Wednesday in the First Week of Lent

God looks down from heaven upon us all,
to see if there is any who is wise,
if there is one who seeks after God.
Psalm 53:2


The brightness of the morning sun intensifies as it bounces off the snow, and I adjust my seat by the window so the glare is not in my eyes. Light, reflection, brilliance. Amazing gifts from God.

The particles of light travel a vast expanse to glance across my book and pool in my lap.  The particles of God’s loving-kindness also cross time and distance to dance around me.

Wisdom keeps me from looking directly at the sun or even into the reflected sunlight. And I know I could not bear to face straight into God’s holy countenance. I am too small, of too little account, too human.

Nevertheless, wisdom keeps me seeking after God’s presence. In the light. In the morning. In the snow. In the encounters that will illumine my path this day.