Thursday, December 1, 2022

Invitation to an Open Place

Thursday of the First Week of Advent

The Lord brought me out into an open place,
and rescued me because the Holy One delighted in me.
Psalm 18:20


As I drive down the country road toward the nursery, I am surprised by a sense of eager anticipation. I am on my way to pick-up greens for the church, which could be perceived of as a bothersome errand. Yet, I am not at all cranky; I am joyful. I realize that I am excited about this season, about preparing for Christmas. And that this excitement has somehow caught me unawares.

As befitting the Advent theme, I feel like I am waking up. Waking up to the return of traditions and practices that had to be laid aside the last couple of years. Waking up to new and renewed relationships. Waking up to possibilities.

I had not expected replenished energy in my soul. Yet there it is, lightening my burdens and lighting the way ahead. I can see that what now unfolds before me is new, is of this time, not of the time before.

Somewhere ahead of me, an infant of the infinite awaits. I will not hurry. I will take the time that is needed. I step into the open invitation and let sacred delight wash through me.