Saturday, December 10, 2022

Shadows and roots

Saturday of the Second Week of Advent

Send out your light and your truth,
that they may lead me,
and bring me to your holy hill
and to your dwelling.
Psalm 43:3


The late afternoon sun casts long shadows, and as I finish my walk I see my own shadow thrown across the winter grass and onto the roots of a large maple tree.

My last few steps had been accompanied by prayer, a questing for a sense of self and purpose. And now I see myself in my shadow, stretched across the sacred roots of faith. Which are themselves only a shadow of what lies deeper. Strength. Resilience. Age.

My life is grafted to this tree, my substance nourished through its roots, my soul shown the way by the wisdom embedded within this holy hill. 

The roots roughen the way, the ground uneven. Yet this too is my Advent path, leading to the manger dwelling.