Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Family traditions

Tuesday of the Second Week of Advent
Feast of St. Nicholas

We will recount to generations to come
the praiseworthy deeds and power of the Holy One
and the wonderful works God has done.
Psalm 78:4


The container of gold-wrapped chocolate coins on the store shelf catches my eye. A perfect day to spy them. Today is the Feast of St. Nicholas, and when our children were little, they left their shoes by the door on the eve of this feast for the saint to leave chocolate coins in them. One of our loved family traditions.

Some years I was ready, other times I was making hectic runs to different stores trying to find the coins at the last minute. Now, when I am not looking, and when my offspring are young adults no longer at home, I am met with this abundance. Not wanting to waste my find, I take a picture and text it my kids.

The psalmist reminds us of that we pass along our faith stories so that the generations to come might know, and the children yet unborn, that they in their turn might tell it to their children; so that they might put their trust in God. Sometimes putting my trust in God is like leaving my shoes, or my soul, by the door and knowing they will be filled.