Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Clinging to Dust

Wednesday of the Second Week of Advent

My soul cleaves to the dust;
give me life according to your word.
Psalm 119:25


My soul cleaves to the dust in my house, the dust on the Advent road, the dust of grief and discouragement. I feel weary. I look at a week’s worth of mail heaped on the hall table and wonder how many important papers might be lost within it.

I sigh. Then, I acknowledge my weariness and offer it to God. And in doing so, feel the weight of it lessen. I look at the table again and decide I can at least throw the junk mail away. And having done that, I tidy up one pile. Then one more. I put away one thing. And then one more. I choose one task at a time. Commit to one doable thing. And as the clutter around me clears, the lethargy within me begins to clear as well.

As I move gently from task to task, I sense the holy One, breathing tenderness and words of life around me and into me and through me. I rest for a moment. And then another. And then one moment more. Still tired. No longer burdened. Another day along the Advent path.