Friday, December 2, 2022

Refuge

Friday of the First Week of Advent

Show me your marvelous loving-kindness
O Savior of those who take refuge at your right hand
from those who rise up against them.
Psalm 17:7


I curl up in a favorite chair, warmed by an afghan and the winter sun streaming through the window. Also wrapped around me is a sense of God’s loving-kindness. I marvel at the gifts around me. The sun. The comfort. The ability to see and perceive. This moment of refuge.

A refuge is not just a place of retreat. It is a harbor, a place to rest and to rebuild. Where supplies and skill are at hand to repair and provision. In order to sail forth once again, to explore, to seek out, to engage with the world.

To take refuge with God, to retreat into the marvelous loving-kindness, is an act of wisdom and strength. Of expectant hope.