Monday, December 5, 2022

Boundless

Monday of the Second Week of Advent

I will give thanks to you, O Lord, with my whole heart;
I will tell of all your marvelous works.
Psalm 9:1


I do not understand lumens. Trying to find the right lightbulb is opaque to me these days. If it were watts, 25, 40, or 100, I would have an idea of just how bright it would be. Soft white, blue, or daylight would tell me something about the quality. My light vocabulary and knowledge are out of date.

And as I watch the afternoon light outside my window shift with each passing minute, I think how inadequate and less-than my indoor lighting choices really are. Could there be a bulb to replicate three o’clock in the afternoon on a winter’s day, or dawn in the spring, or six minutes after nine on a midsummer’s evening?

And how pallid is the minute-to-minute play of reflected light in the world around me compared to the boundless glory of God? How can I begin to tell of the marvelous works of the Holy One?