Monday, March 22, 2021

Wilderness ambiguity

Monday in the Fifth Week of Lent

Into your hands I commend my spirit,
for you have redeemed me,
O Lord, O God of truth.
Psalm 31:5



The sun sends a kiss across the water, illuminating the fresh green branch of spring growth. In the background, on the farther bank of the stream, are the dead limbs passed over by the sunlight. They are broken, beaten by the winter and storms and probably time.

One waterfall of spring thaw laughs its way into the stream while another remains mostly frozen.

New growth and dead wood, frozen and free. These things are not so much contradictions as separate truths, existing at the same time. I am reminded that in God’s economy, more than one thing can be true.

The Lenten path has crossed the middle way, and sooner rather than later will increase its determined pace toward the chaos that comes before the end. It will always be more than I can grasp, full of ambiguity, too vast for me to navigate. My only hope is to place myself in the hands of the God of truth.


Photo credit: Anne E. Kitch