Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Definition of gift

Tuesday in the Third Week of Lent

I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will declare the mysteries of ancient times
Psalm 78:2




In the pre-dawn I watch as the outlines of bare limbs emerge from what moments before was a monochrome palette. Colors separate themselves into familiar shapes as sketches of branches gain definition, becoming separate trees, hedges, shrubs. Soon the roof of a house across the street fades into view, and then a horizon. Power lines materialize, cutting the space into horizontal sections.

As the scene becomes three-dimensional, moving figures appear. A person walking their dog. A car pulling out of a driveway. A sparrow alighting on top of a bush.

All this life, waiting to be revealed, made known, treasured.

The holy One paints landscapes from parables, molds communities by means of ancient promises, crafts the ordinary out of sacred mystery. God’s creative spirit is at work all of the time—in my smallness and indifference, I do not always perceive it. Nevertheless, the gift is given with each new day.



Image by Frauke Riether from Pixabay