Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Solace intertwined

Tuesday in the Fourth Week of Lent

When many cares fill my mind,
your consolations cheer my soul.
Psalm 94:19




Every conversation in the day brings some lightness with it. We have all waited so fiercely for this spring--we have marked each small sign, noticed each shift in temperature and daylight. And today, I am so clearly not alone in my sense of relief and hope.

There will still be days of cold ahead, March is always a wild month, but I feel so much more capable of taking them in stride. Because in this desert of Lent, I know I am not alone. The nascent joy I am nurturing in my heart is likewise being called forth in a hundred other homes, neighborhoods, geographies. We honor each other’s courage, bolster each other’s resilience, guard each other’s gladness.

And none of this would be possible without the author of all joy. It is God who comforts my soul, intertwines blessed solace among us all on this wilderness road. There will still be days of trouble ahead; this is a wild world. And it is God’s world and we are God’s people.



Image by David Mark from Pixabay