Friday, March 19, 2021

Oasis

Friday in the Fourth Week of Lent

I sought the Lord, and he answered me
and delivered me out of all my terror.
Psalm 34:4


A physical therapist who is kind, attentive, and funny. A webinar executed with leadership, expertise, and faithful hope. A picture of beloved baby goats. These encounters ease my aching soul into thankfulness, confidence, and delight. None of them are about being back to normal. All of them are about the goodness of God’s creation. The therapist and I are still masked, the webinar explores digital modalities, and the goats…well baby goats are still baby goats.

A year ago, small things brought terror to my soul. Even now on some days it seems all I can do to keep my head above the waters of despair and my heart fixed on hope. And, of course, I am doomed when I try this on my own.  Today, once again, I re-learn the remedy of seeking out my savior.

All along the Lenten path--a year ago and now--are oases of abundance and joy. God feeds God’s people (and goats) in the wilderness.



Photo featuring Quin, Liza, and Re. Credit: Tom Drobena