Saturday, March 20, 2021

Chaos in balance

Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

The Lord changed rivers into deserts,
and water-springs into thirsty ground.
Psalm 107:1




I wake on the first day of spring, when the amount of daylight and darkness are almost equal. Balance. Something I constantly seek.

Yet the first day of spring is hardly ever balanced or even or stable. It comes with rain or sun or snow, it sneaks in on us with ambiguous presence. It often presents chaos of the yet-to-be-realized. And I am so relieved to welcome it.

Balance, a wise mentor once told me, is different ever day. Balance is always about relationship. And when I think of God’s presence and power in the world, I realize that balance is not dualistic, not about two opposites on a scale. It is more like a disk precariously set on a pinpoint continually striving for equilibrium. Or a mobile, tri-dimensional and shifting, creating new shapes and relationships with each breath of air.

In God’s economy, the disk spins steadily and the mobile turns on the breeze, radiating music and story and splendor. Balance and life belong to God. Today, I want to give myself over to spring, and chaos, and the breath of God.



Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay