Saturday, December 5, 2020

Tranquility

 Saturday of the First Week of Advent 

Turn again to your rest, O my soul
for the Lord has treated you well.
Psalm 116:6


The sun sets and the quiet of the evening settles over me. In the stillness, I feel something within me that I finally identify as contentment. It has been a long time.

Contentment has been hard to come by in the past ten months. Yet it is one of God’s gifts. God who created the depths of the oceans out of a word, and flung stars and planets into the patterns of the universe, also created rest. Serenity, satisfaction, ease. All belong to the rhythm of human life.

With the end of this day comes the end of the first week of Advent. Tomorrow we will light two candles on our wreath, increasing the light which illumines our way forward. The way of waiting continues toward the promised brightness ahead. And because I can, and because I hear an invitation to bear this gift, I will pack up this evening’s tranquility and carry it with me.


Image by Evgeni Tcherkasski from Pixabay