Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Measureless

Tuesday of the First Week of Advent

Give ears to my words, O Lord;
consider my meditation.
Psalm 5:1


I step into the stillness as if it were a pool of afternoon light. It has been there, waiting for me, anticipating my captured attention. At times, I have disciplined myself into the quiet moment, used well-worn ritual to navigate my way across the threshold onto sacred ground. As if all ground were not sacred. As if all moments did not offer holy encounter.

Over the past ten months, I have stumbled across openings for meditation scattered across my path, have heard the invitation for contemplation in the gentle call of windchimes. I have encountered the fluidity of prayer that at first seemed like scattered gasps until I dismantled barriers of correctness I had constructed between me and my creator. 

I yield to the stillness as God takes my measure, hears words I utter and those I have not yet formed, and gathers me into the measureless grace tendered across ordinary time.



Image by dre2uomaha0 from Pixabay