Monday, April 8, 2019

Take courage

Monday in the Fifth Week of Lent

Be strong and let your heart take courage,
all you who wait for the Lord.
Psalm 31:24

The invitation comes in the middle of an impossible day, “Do you have time for a cup of tea?”

The answer on my lips is no. I am about to walk out the door. I have so much to do. I have already said no to other important things this day. But my heart knows better. An inner voice suggests that a time of rest and respite with a friend is just what I need in the midst of…all this.

I feel somewhat lost in the middle of Lent. I no longer remember exactly how the journey began, suspect I have been running in circles, am convinced I am making no progress whatsoever. Perhaps it is time to be still, take stock, see where I really am. My no becomes, “where shall we meet?”

We sit across from each other and lay our mutual lostness on the table, where it dissipates in the mist of steaming cups. Without speaking the words directly, we offer each other courage for the road ahead. Because it is clear not only that we have one another, but also that we are on God’s journey and in God’s hands.