Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Playful

Tuesday in the Fifth Week of Lent

Then was our mouth filled with laughter,
and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Psalm 126:3

Having picked up what I came for, I head for the store exit. Yet my way is slowed as I am tempted to wander down every side aisle. The bright colors and curious shapes and various textures call out to me of endless creative possibilities.

This craft store speaks to me of my girls growing up, of art projects and inventive endeavors and our desire as parents to inspire their imaginations. Even now, I find myself scanning the shelves full of stuffs thinking what might bring them joy.

It occurs to me that part of the allure of making things is that it offers a way of participating in God’s creation, and in the accompanying enjoyment, happiness, and holiness. Even in the wilderness, God calls us to playfulness.