Friday, April 12, 2019

Seeking a clean sweep

Friday in the Fifth Week of Lent

Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
for I put my trust in you;
show me the road that I must walk,
for I lift up my soul to you.
Psalm 143:8

I look at the clock and am surprised by the time. How did two hours already go by? I think I have been at prayer all this time, but that is clearly not the case. I do a quick inventory of my morning: I got up, I searched the internet for a needed resource, I made tea, I put away the clean dishes, I watched a video I discovered in my search, I thought about how to plan out the work ahead of me, I looked for and found some old files, I sat down to pray, I searched the internet some more, I journaled, I gave thanks, I drafted emails in my head, I read scripture, I caught up on social media, I set out to write.

I thought my morning had been focused, but my path so far this day has been round about, with starts and stops and detours. How will I ever make my way across the wilderness in this fashion? How can I possibly stay connected to God when I am searching in all the wrong places?

So many voices call out to me and I’m not even aware of how distracted I am. I know that now is the time to listen to one voice, to set aside what is not important and not allow false urgency to pull me off course. If I am to find my way with any sense of grace, I need to trust in the one who knows the way, who is the way.

I lift my soul to God and pray my savior will sweep away all that clutters the way ahead.


Image source: Copyright : rawpixel