Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Unruly faithfulness

Tuesday in the Fourth Week of Lent

The Lord knows our human thoughts;
how like a puff of wind they are.
Psalm 94:11

For the umpteenth time I refocus on my prayer. Even though I have set this time aside and nothing else needs doing at the moment, my mind leaps from place to place as if it were a rubber bouncy ball. My thoughts are not just scattered, they are lured, tossed to and fro, unruly. Like the left over fall leaves swirled into chaos by spring gusts.

How is it that God still loves me, when I so often fail to pay attention to her omnipresent care? I can go through an entire day encountering grace after grace and not once lift my voice in prayer or praise or thanksgiving or even acknowledgment. I know what happens to relationships I neglect. How they become stale or fraught or just…less.

Yet the Holy One is always faithful. And each time I repent and turn back to the One who redeems me, I find welcome. Even now.


image source: 123rf.com