Thursday, April 4, 2019

Rest

Thursday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;
in your great compassion, turn to me.
Psalm 69:18

In the warm sun of the late spring afternoon I still myself. The week has been frenetic, and I need this break. Knowing how tasks at hand can lure me away from needed rest, earlier this week I committed myself to spending some time outdoors each day. A walk, a moment in the sun, a time to sit in the backyard.

Now, well into the Lenten journey, I engage this new practice and realize the freedom in adjusting course. After all, I do not belong to an austere God who insists I must go on as I started a month ago. Rather, I am cherished by One whose compassion absolutely knows no bounds.

Almost as soon as I have settled, I feel the difference, the beginning of restoration. Once again, I turn to the God who saves, and discover that God has already turned to me.