Saturday, April 6, 2019

Holy conversation

Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Whoever is wise will ponder these things,
and consider well the mercies of the Lord.
Psalm 107:43

We sit in companionable silence. The afternoon is spring warm, a soft breeze caries the scent of fertile ground.

My father and I share the pleasure of being quiet. Even so, I am tempted to think I should fill the space with conversation. With news of the family or my day or current events. But as I let the stillness deepen, I realize there is a conversation going on. Together we ponder, reflect, muse. We look at one another and smile, knowing that to be quiet is fine. That listening to the birdsong, noticing the blue sky, and soaking up the sunlight is holy.

It is a gift to be in God’s creation together. “Very pleasant,” he comments. I nod in agreement. And we continue our mutual contemplation of God’s mercy.