Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wednesday of the Second Week of Advent



O Lord, you know all my desires,
   and my sighing is not hidden from you.  Psalm 38:9


In the late afternoon I go scrounging for chocolate. I don’t keep it in my office anymore, in an effort to be better about snacking. But I know where the nearest available candy dish resides. I take a small saucer with me as I go, in order to bring some sustenance back to my lair. I still have a lot of work to do.

I find myself selecting the candies by color, choosing the blue ones for the season. I would choose purple if that were an option, as that is my preferred Advent color. I add some red and green ones for good measure, and because there aren’t that many blue ones. Even in my private indulgence, I find a way to mark the season.

But as I contemplate my choice, and the small ritual I have created around this foray, I realize it references a deeper desire. I hunger both for the waiting time and for the result. I am drawn to God’s impending revelation of love into the world, but also to the expectancy itself. I yearn for the in-between, because I have found it a place of trial and testing and hope and faithfulness and trepidation and joy, and I know that the new life that comes next will be strong and sure and surprising.

I stand quietly for another minute. Then, chocolate in hand, I go about my day.





Image Copyright: kalani / 123RF Stock Photo 

Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2014