Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday of the First Week of Advent


Feast of St. Andrew, transferred

Sing to the Lord and bless his Name;
  proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.  Psalm 96:2

It remains dark in this desert valley until the mountains tip just enough toward the sun that its light begins to soak into the rugged landscape. With the light comes definition, swathes of grey giving way to crags and gloriously uneven peaks, and I notice it is the shadows that provide contour and explanation. Without their shade, there would be no shape. Nothing to see, nothing to know or understand. This morning, and every morning, the shadows are both revealed and revealing.

I am preparing to leave this western clime to head home. And I am preparing to step on the Advent path, turning my expectations simultaneously to Bethlehem and to the second coming. The immediate anticipation is more easily lived into; do I really know how to hope for Christ coming in glory, for the eschaton, the end of the world?


The revelation of the mountains, the play of the shadows, remind me that day to day the glories of God are unveiled anew. Day to day salvation is at hand. And day to day I am invited to sing and bless and proclaim the advent of this miracle.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014