Monday, December 8, 2014

Monday of the Second Week of Advent

Show me your ways, O Lord,
   and teach me your paths.  Psalm 25:3

As we leave the movie theatre in the cold rain, I try to think of the best route home. We need to pick up our daughter from her friend’s house along the way, and I try to picture the triangle in my head: theater to friend’s to home. But I can’t quite visualize the way, so I reach for my phone, not to call for directions, but to use the map.

How did we come to this, I think, as I contemplate the technology in my hand? When I was my daughter’s age, finding the way would have been such a different story. And when my mother was a girl?

The app on my phone lights up with three possible routes. Of course, why didn’t I think of going that way? It makes so much sense.

And as I drive, it occurs to me that like the highlighted possibilities on my phone, the ways of God are many. There is not one right path to discover and then choose. And in this time and place, finding the way is a different story. But nevertheless, it is a story and a path that traces it’s way from my mother to me and to my daughter. And even farther back, and even farther forward. I travel a way that is ancient and new. 

I drive on into the night and the rain and the endless possibilities of the loving ways of God.



Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2014