Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Tuesday of the First Week of Advent



In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
   early in the morning I make my appeal and watch for you.  Psalm 5:3

We have spent the last several days in a different time zone, and the morning, with its demands of work and school and wakefulness, arrives like an underserved blow.

“It’s like four in the morning,” my sleepy teenager protests as she heads out the door. 

“No, don’t say that,” I advise. I know the power of perception. It will feel less tiring, less of an affront, less ridiculously early if I align myself with the present time zone, with the current reality.

Shifting realities takes energy. Holding onto time that is no longer current can be more exhausting than the lack of sleep such switches bring.

Time. And on this Advent morning, I wonder how to align myself with God’s time. How often have I tired myself by contorting my deeds and expectations into a false sense of urgency? Today, I pray for synchronicity, that I may walk to the gentle rhythm of God’s desires. I pray for the gift of humble watchfulness.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2014