Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wednesday of the First Week of Advent



Happy are those whose way is blameless
  who walk in the law of the Lord!  Psalm 119:1

Despite my resolution, I express my irritation at the driver in front of me who cannot seem to make up his mind. Is he stopping, turning, parking? “Turn signals are always welcome,” I say out loud although I am the only one in the car. And then I sigh at myself. I am always promising myself that I will resist ranting at other drivers. And I am always failing at this promise. And I know, all too well, that my outbursts do not result in better driving on the part of others, but rather increased exasperation for myself. Nor am I a faultless driver.

My way is hardly blameless. Ever. It would be nice. And I bet they are happy, those people who are virtuous and guiltless. But who are they? Who is it that can walk in the law of the Lord, perfectly, without straying off the path of righteousness?

And then I remember that the law of the Lord is love and faithfulness. It is not hardship. And I have experienced this love and care. I have run into it in all sorts of unexpected places. Including busy streets on a December afternoon.


The Advent invitation is clear: to step onto the path, to wend our way toward Bethlehem, to look for the highway in the wilderness that is straight and true and even. And to trust in the goodness of God, who prepares for us once and for all, and again and again, the gift of salvation.



Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2014