Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday of the Third Week of Advent



If we have forgotten the Name of our God,
   or stretched out our hands to some strange god,

Will not God find out?
   for he knows the secrets of the heart.  Psalm 44:20-21


The cacophony is overwhelming. A garish Christmas tree dominates the lobby, guarded by the silhouettes of huge toy soldiers outlined in bright lights. Video screens booming, barely recognizable carols blaring, people on cell phones complaining or cajoling. Noise of privilege. Noise of false promises. Noise of empty symbols. I have barely entered the fray of the mall and already I feel battered.

And I am also pummeled by my own desire. I am hardly immune to the voices that want me to buy just the right gift. That dictate what my husband or teenagers want from me. That guarantee my happiness is available for purchase…and on sale.

It occurs to me that I would not find the mall a gauntlet if I had not given in to these voices before.  

But I do not have to give in to them today. God, who knows my secret desires, and how often I worship at the feet of what’s false, also calls me by name, and invites me into deep joy.

In the midst of the tumult I stretch out my heart to toward true love, and I hear clearly the sweet tones of Emmanuel, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Morning Star, Prince of Peace.




Image Credit: Rast / 123RF Stock Photo 
Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2014