Saturday, December 13, 2014

Saturday of the Second Week of Advent

The Lord grants his loving kindness in the daytime;
   in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.  Psalm 42:10

It hits me suddenly.  One moment I am sitting in the high school auditorium, and the next I am propelled with a gasp into the glory of God. Certainly an unexpected time and place.

It is difficult for me to unravel and understand the elements that contribute to this translation. The local community, with all its variety, gathered in this large urban high school. A school that still cares to support a music program. The young voices 150 strong, who create transcendence simply by their willingness to sing together. The student orchestra performing, accompanying, supporting with confidence and expertise. The leadership these young adults take on with such poise.

Or perhaps it is simply the beauty of one young woman standing in the aisle next to my seat, voice raised in exquisite tone, who cannot know that I am now praying, thanking God for the gift of Christ breaking in on me and the world once again.



Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2014