Thursday, December 19, 2019

Vulnerable strength

Thursday of the Third Week of Advent

I know every bird in the sky,
and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
Psalm 50:11

The wind pummels the house, bitter and insistent. And on a bare branch outside my window a small bird holds fast. The early morning is too dark for me to see her colors and I cannot yet hear her voice. It is extraordinary to me that she remains perched in the midst of such fury. She is safe inside a tumult that would batter me to the ground.
I marvel that her vulnerable body contains such strength, and I marvel at the source of her strength. She is beloved of God, known to the Creator, counted amongst the cherished.

The Word too is born vulnerable, coming into the world small and human and exposed. And the Word holds fast and the darkness does not overcome it.



Image by Pezibear from Pixabay