Wednesday, December 18, 2019

All that comes next

Wednesday of the Third Week of Advent

This is my comfort in my trouble,
that your promise gives me life.
Psalm 119:50

Suddenly it seems like there is no time left. My to do list threatens to derail my life sending me over a cliff to…well, all manner of chaos.

I know from past experience (as well as the turtle and the hare) that slow and steady is the way to go, and that things take the time the take. The now calls for discernment, for greeting the needs clamoring for my attention with wisdom. One breath at a time, one step at a time, first one thing and then the next.

Coffee with a friend. Prayerful preparation of worship. Rest. Relieving suffering. Remembering what the preparation is for. Making ready to celebrate the promise.

It is not enough time. It is all the time I have. And the promise is on its way.