Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Destinations known and unknown

Tuesday of the Second Week of Advent

For I am but a sojourner with you,
a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Psalm 39:14

I sit in the car in the pouring rain. I have arrived early at my destination and feel no need to step out into the deluge just yet. I am safe and dry here, protected from the rain and the darkness and any busyness.

In this moment of respite, I think over all the roads I have traveled this day: highways, city streets, rural roads past farms and through woodlands. Others have been on those same roads, people I do not know with destinations other than mine. And some, perhaps, with the same purpose and end in mind.

I am not the only one on this Advent journey. I share it with other wayfarers, sojourners, roamers. Wanderers and wonderers headed toward Bethlehem now and in times past and in futures yet imagined. Temporary on this earth, yet invited into the forever, we make our meandering way.