Friday, December 13, 2019

Sacred waiting

Friday of the Second Week of Advent

Be strong and let your heart take courage,
all you who wait for the Lord.
Psalm 31:24

I sit in the reception area waiting to be called in for my appointment. I expected the wait and am prepared, have even looked forward to it, as I can use the downtime this day.

Sometimes I wait less patiently. Sometimes my waiting goes unnoticed. Like an app running in the background, it is unseen yet takes up energy. Waiting for an issue to resolve, waiting for healing, waiting for a change in season.

Waiting can be so many different things: tedious, hopeful, unexpected. Anxious, instructive, opportune. The season of Advent reminds me that waiting is sacred time, holy in and of itself. We are waiting for the coming, and the waiting itself creates the space for Christ to enter into our lives anew.



Image by Hùng Phạm Anh from Pixabay